[gpfsug-discuss] Online data migration tool

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 16:13:30 GMT 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-29 at 12:08 -0700, Nikhil Khandelwal wrote:

[SNIP]

> Since file systems created at 4.X.X and earlier used a block size
> that kept this allocation in mind, there should be very little impact
> on existing file systems.

That is quite a presumption. I would say that file systems created at
4.X.X and earlier potentially used a block size that was the best
*compromise*, and the new options would work a lot better.

So for example supporting a larger block size for users who have sane
workflows while still not wasting a ton of space for the biomedical
folks who abuse the file system as a database.

Though I have come to the conclusion to stop them using the file system
as a database (no don't do ls in that directory there is 200,000 files
and takes minutes to come back) is to put your BOFH hat on quota them
on maximum file numbers and suggest to them that they use a database
even if it is just sticking it all in SQLite :-D