[gpfsug-discuss] Online data migration tool

Nikhil Khandelwal nikhilk at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 30 00:00:23 GMT 2017

Hi Aaron,

By large block size we are primarily talking about block sizes 4 MB and
greater.  You are correct, in my previous message I neglected to mention
the file create performance for small files on these larger block sizes due
to the subblock change.  In addition to the added space efficiency, small
file creation (for example 32kB files) on large block size filesystems will
improve.

In the case of a 1 MB block size, there would be no real difference in file
creates.  For a 16 MB block size, however there will be a performance
improvement for small file creation as a part of the subblock change for
new filesystems.  For users who are upgrading from 4.X.X to 5.0.0, the file
creation speed will remain the same after the upgrade.

I hope that helps, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you,
Nikhil Khandelwal
Spectrum Scale Development
Client Adoption