[gpfsug-discuss] Online data migration tool

Aaron Knister aaron.knister at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 22:41:48 GMT 2017

Thanks, Nikhil. Most of that was consistent with my understnading, however
I was under the impression that the >32 subblocks code is required to
achieve the touted 50k file creates/second that Sven has talked about a
bunch of times:

http://files.gpfsug.org/presentations/2017/Manchester/08_Research_Topics.pdf
http://files.gpfsug.org/presentations/2017/Ehningen/31_-_SSUG17DE_-_Sven_Oehme_-_News_from_Research.pdf
http://files.gpfsug.org/presentations/2016/SC16/12_-_Sven_Oehme_Dean_Hildebrand_-_News_from_IBM_Research.pdf

from those presentations regarding 32 subblocks:

"It has a significant performance penalty for small files in large block
size filesystems"

although I'm not clear on the specific definition of "large". Many
filesystems I encounter only have a 1M block size so it may not matter
there, although that same presentation clearly shows the benefit of larger
block sizes which is yet *another* thing for which a migration tool would
be helpful.

-Aaron