[gpfsug-discuss] Online data migration tool

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 29 16:35:04 GMT 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-29 at 11:00 -0500, Yugendra Guvvala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand the technical challenges to migrate to GPFS
> 5.0 from GPFS 4.3. We currently run GPFS 4.3 and i was all exited to
> see 5.0 release and hear about some promising features available. But
> not sure about complexity involved to migrate.

Oh that's simple. You copy all your data somewhere else (good luck if
you happen to have a few hundred TB or maybe a PB or more) then
reformat your files system with the new disk format then restore all
your data to your shiny new file system.

Over the years there have been a number of these "reformats" to get all
the new shiny features, which is the cause of the grumbles because it
is not funny and most people don't have the disk space to just hold
another copy of the data, and even if they did it is extremely
disruptive.