[gpfsug-discuss] Online data migration tool

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 27 14:56:56 GMT 2017

On Sun, 2017-11-26 at 13:00 -0500, Aaron Knister wrote:
> With the release of Scale 5.0 it’s no secret that some of the
> performance features of 5.0 require a new disk format and existing
> filesystems cannot be migrated in place to get these features.
>
> There’s also an issue for long time customers who have had scale
> since before the 4.1 days where filesystems crested prior to I think
> 4.1 are not 4K aligned and thus cannot use 4K sector LUNs to hold
> metadata. At some point we’re not going to be able to buy storage
> that’s not got 4K sectors.

This has been going on since forever. We have had change to 64bit
inodes for more than 2 billion files and the ability to mount on
Windows. They are like 2.3 and 3.0 changes from memory going back
around a decade now. I have a feeling there was another change for
mounting HSM'ed file systems on Windows too.

I just don't think IBM care. The answer has always been well just start
again.