[gpfsug-discuss] Default placement/External Pool

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 8 19:21:19 GMT 2017

Peter,

1. to best exploit and integrate both Spectrum Scale and Cloud Storage,
please consider:
https://www.ibm.com/blogs/systems/spectrum-scale-transparent-cloud-tiering/

2. Yes, you can use mmapplypolicy to push copies of files to an "external"
system.  But you'll probably need a strategy or technique to avoid
redundantly pushing the "next time" you run the command...

3. Regarding mmapplypolicy nitty-gritty:   you can use the -N option to
say exactly which nodes you want to run the command.

And regarding using ... EXTERNAL ... EXEC 'myscript'

You can further restrict which nodes will act as mmapplypolicy "helpers"
-- If on a particular node x, 'myscript' does not exist OR
  myscript TEST returns a non-zero exit code then node x will be
excluded.... You will see a message like this:

[I] Messages tagged with <3> are from node n3.
<3> [E:73] Error on system(/ghome/makaplan/policies/mynodes.sh TEST
'/foo/bar5'  2>&1)
<3> [W] EXEC '/ghome/makaplan/policies/mynodes.sh' of EXTERNAL POOL or
LIST 'x' fails TEST with code 73 on this node.

OR

[I] Messages tagged with <5> are from node n4.
<5> sh: /tmp/mynodes.sh: No such file or directory
<5> [E:127] Error on system(/tmp/mynodes.sh TEST '/foo/bar5'  2>&1)
<5> [W] EXEC '/tmp/mynodes.sh' of EXTERNAL POOL or LIST 'x' fails TEST
with code 127 on this node.