[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS update path 4.1.1 -> 4.2.3

Felipe Knop knop at us.ibm.com
Tue May 30 03:54:04 BST 2017

Tomasz,

The statement below from "Concepts, Planning and Installation Guide"  was
found to be incorrect and is being withdrawn from the publications.  The
team is currently working on improvements to the guidance being provided
for migration.

For a cluster which is not running protocols like NFS/SMB/Object,
migration of nodes one-at-a-time from 4.1.1 to 4.2.3 should work.  Once
all nodes are migrated to 4.2.3, command

mmchconfig release=LATEST

can be issued to move the cluster to the 4.2.3 level.   Note that the
command above will not change the file system level. The file system can
be moved to the latest level with command

mmchfs file-system-name -V full

In other words: can two nodes, one with GPFS version 4.1.1 and the other
with version 4.2.3, coexist in the cluster, where nodes have not been
migrated to 4.2.3 (i.e. filesystem level is still at version 4.1.1)?

That is expected to work.

  Felipe

----
Felipe Knop                                     knop at us.ibm.com