[gpfsug-discuss] What is an independent fileset? was: mmbackup with fileset : scope errors

Stephen Ulmer ulmer at ulmer.org
Thu May 18 15:47:59 BST 2017

Each independent fileset is an allocation area, and they are (I believe) handled separately. There are a set of allocation managers for each file system, and when you need to create a file you ask one of them to do it. Each one has a pre-negotiated range of inodes to hand out, so there isn’t a single point of contention for creating files. I’m pretty sure that means that they all have to have a range for each inode space. This is based on my own logic, and could be complete nonsense.

While I’m sure that limit could be changed eventually, there’s probably some efficiencies in not making it much bigger than it needs to be. I don’t know if it would take an on-disk format change or not.

So how do you decide that a use case gets it’s own fileset, and do you just always use independent or is there an evaluation? I’m just curious because I like to understand lots of different points of view — feel free to tell me to go away. :)

--
Stephen