[gpfsug-discuss] connected v. datagram mode

Jonathon A Anderson jonathon.anderson at colorado.edu
Fri May 12 15:43:55 BST 2017

This won’t tell you which to use; but datagram mode and connected mode in IB is roughly analogous to UDB vs TCP in IP. One is “unreliable” in that there’s no checking/retry built into the protocol; the other is “reliable” and detects whether data is received completely and in the correct order.

The last advice I heard for traditional IB was that the overhead of connected mode isn’t worth it, particularly if you’re using IPoIB (where you’re likely to be using TCP anyway). That said, on our OPA network we’re seeing the opposite advice; so I, to, am often unsure what the most correct configuration would be for any given fabric.

~jonathon