[gpfsug-discuss] help with multi-cluster setup: Network is unreachable

Jaime Pinto pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca
Mon May 8 18:12:38 BST 2017

I only ask that we look beyond the trivial. The existing multi-cluster
setup with mixed versions of servers already work fine with 4000+
clients on 4.1. We still have 3 legacy servers on 3.5, we already have
a server on 4.1 also serving fine. The brand new 4.1 server we added
last week seems to be at odds for some reason, not that obvious.

Thanks
Jaime

Quoting "Buterbaugh, Kevin L" <Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu>:

> Hi Eric, Jamie,
>
> Interesting comment as we do exactly the opposite!
>
> I always make sure that my servers are running a particular version
> before I upgrade any clients.  Now we never mix and match major
> versions (i.e. 4.x and 3.x) for long ? those kinds of upgrades we do
>  rapidly.  But right now I?ve got clients running 4.2.0-3 talking
> just fine to 4.2.2.3 servers.
>
> To be clear, I?m not saying I?m right and Eric?s wrong at all - just
>  an observation / data point.  YMMV?
>
> Kevin
>
> On May 8, 2017, at 11:34 AM, J. Eric Wonderley
> <eric.wonderley at vt.edu<mailto:eric.wonderley at vt.edu>> wrote:
>
> Hi Jamie:
>
> I think typically you want to keep the clients ahead of the server
> in version.  I would advance the version of you client nodes.
>
> New clients can communicate with older versions of server nsds.
> Vice versa...no so much.
>
> ?
> Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
> Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
> Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> -
> (615)875-9633

          ************************************
           TELL US ABOUT YOUR SUCCESS STORIES
          http://www.scinethpc.ca/testimonials
---
Jaime Pinto
SciNet HPC Consortium - Compute/Calcul Canada
www.scinet.utoronto.ca - www.computecanada.ca
University of Toronto
661 University Ave. (MaRS), Suite 1140
Toronto, ON, M5G1M1