[gpfsug-discuss] gpfsug-discuss Digest, Vol 62, Issue 33

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Mar 16 11:19:30 GMT 2017

On Wed, 2017-03-15 at 20:52 -0400, Aaron Knister wrote:
> *drags out soapbox*
>

> Sorry in advance for the rant, this is one of my huge pet peeves :)
>

> There are some serious blockers for GNR adoption in my environment. It
> drives me up a wall that the only way to get end to end checksums in
> GPFS is with vendor hardware lock-in.

As I understand it that is a factually inaccurate statement.

You are free to use a DIF/DIX solution which is part of the T10 SCSI
specification and as such an open(ish) standard. That is if you pay a
suitable amount you will get a copy of the standard and are free to
implement it. It is arguably more open than ZFS that has licensing
issues.

Further as I understand it the DIF/DIX solution is actually better than
the ZFS solution on a number of counts, that revolve around it being
baked into the hardware.

Fife, United Kingdom.