[gpfsug-discuss] default inode size

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Wed Mar 15 14:22:36 GMT 2017

Another thing to consider is how many disk block pointers you have room for
in the inode, and when you'll need to add additional indirect blocks. Ref:
http://files.gpfsug.org/presentations/2016/south-bank/
D2_P2_A_spectrum_scale_metadata_dark_V2a.pdf

If I understand that presentation correctly.. a block pointer is 12 bytes,
so a 1 KB inode can hold approximately 70 block pointers -- ie. any file
larger than 70 blocks will need additional indirect blocks to hold the
addresses, requiring minimum one additional sub-block. With a 1 MB
blocksize filesystem (data and metadata), files between 75 MB and 3 GB will
need 1x inode and 1x indirect block = 1 KB + 32 KB metadata space. If your
files are smaller than 75 MB, the address pointers fit in the 1K inode.

If you have 4 KB inode, files smaller than 340 MB will fit all pointers in
the inode.

  -jf