[gpfsug-discuss] Potential problems - leaving trace enabled in over-write mode?

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Mar 7 21:36:44 GMT 2017

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 21:17:35 +0000, Bryan Banister said:

> Just depends on how your problem is detected… is it in a log?  Is it found by
> running a command (.e.g mm*)?  Is it discovered in `ps` output?  Is your
> scheduler failing jobs?

I think the problem here is that if you have a sudden cataclysmic event, you
want to have been in flight-recorder mode and be able to look at the last 5 or
10 seconds of trace *before* you became aware that your filesystem just went
walkies.  Sure, you can start tracing when the filesystem dies - but at that
point you just get a whole mess of failed I/O requests in the trace, and no
hint of where things went south...