[gpfsug-discuss] Mass UID migration suggestions

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Jun 30 18:25:56 BST 2017

Hi Luke,

I’ve got an off the wall suggestion for you, which may or may not work depending on whether or not you have any UID conflicts with old and new UIDs … this won’t actually speed things up but it will eliminate the “downtime” for your users.  And the big caveat is that there can’t be any UID conflicts … i.e. someone’s new UID can’t be someone else’s old UID.

Given that … what if you set an ACL to allow access to both their old and new UIDs … then change their UID to the new UID … then chown the files to the new UID and remove the ACL?  More work for you, but no downtime for them.

We actually may need to do something similar as we will need to change Windows-assigned UID’s based on SIDs to “correct” UIDs at some point in the future on one of our storage systems.

If someone has a better way to solve your problem, I hope they’ll post it to the list, as it may help us as well.  HTHAL.  Thanks…

Kevin