[gpfsug-discuss] export nfs share on gpfs with no authentication

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 24 17:35:34 BST 2017

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:36:41 +0300, Ilan Schwarts said:
> Hi,
> I have gpfs with 2 Nodes (redhat).
> I am trying to create NFS share - So I would be able to mount and
> access it from another linux machine.

> While trying to create NFS (I execute the following):
> [root at LH20-GPFS1 ~]# mmnfs export add /fs_gpfs01 -c "*
> Access_Type=RW,Protocols=3:4,Squash=no_root_squash)"

You can get away with little to no authentication for NFSv3, but
not for NFSv4.  Try with Protocols=3 only and

mmuserauth service create --type userdefined

that should get you Unix-y NFSv3 UID/GID support and "trust what the NFS
client tells you".  This of course only works sanely if each NFS export is
only to a set of machines in the same administrative domain that manages their
UID/GIDs.  Exporting to two sets of machines that don't coordinate their
UID/GID space is, of course, where hilarity and hijinks ensue....