[gpfsug-discuss] WekaIO Unveils Cloud-Native Scalable File System

Edward Wahl ewahl at osc.edu
Wed Jul 12 19:20:06 BST 2017

Ah benchmarks...

There are Lies, damn Lies, and then benchmarks.

 I've been in HPC a while on both the vendor (Cray) and customer side, and until
 I see Lustre, BeeGFS, Spectrum Scale, StorNext, OrangeFS, CEPH, Gluster,
 'Flash in the pan v1', etc. all run on the EXACT same hardware I take ALL
 benchmarks with a POUND of salt.  Too easy to finagle whatever result you
 want.  Besides, benchmarks and real world performance are vastly different
 unless you are using IO kernels based on your local apps as your benchmark.

I have a feeling MANY of the folks on this list feel similarly. ;)

I recall when we figured out how someone cheated a SPEC test once by only using
the inner-track of drives.  ^_^

Ed

--

Ed Wahl