[gpfsug-discuss] Baseline testing GPFS with gpfsperf

Scott C Batchelder scbatche at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 25 21:46:45 BST 2017

Hello:

I am wondering if I can get some more information on the gpfsperf tool for
baseline testing GPFS. I want to record GPFS read and write performance
for a file system on the cluster before I enable DMAPI and configure the
HSM interface.  The README for the tool does not offer much insight in how
I should run this tool based on the cluster or file system settings.  The
cluster that I will be running this tool on will not have MPI installed
and will have multiple file systems in the cluster.  Are there some best
practises for running this tool?  For example:
- Should the number of threads equal the number of NSDs for the file
system? or equal to the number of nodes?
- If I execute a large multi-threaded run of this tool from a single node
in the cluster, will that give me an accurate result of the performance of
the file system?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sincerely,