[gpfsug-discuss] Bad performance with GPFS system monitoring (mmsysmon) in GPFS 4.2.1.1

Mathias Dietz MDIETZ at de.ibm.com
Thu Jan 19 18:07:32 GMT 2017

Hi Farid,

there is no official way for disabling the system health monitoring
because other components rely on it (e.g. GUI, CES, Install Toolkit,..)
If you are fine with the consequences you can just delete the
mmsysmonitor.conf, which will prevent the monitor from starting.

During our testing we did not see a significant performance impact caused
by the monitoring.
In 4.2.2 some component monitors (e.g. disk) have been further improved to
reduce polling and use notifications instead.

Nevertheless, I would like to better understand what the issue is.
What kind of workload do you run ?
Do you see spikes in CPU usage every 30 seconds ?
Is it the same on all cluster nodes or just on some of them ?
Could you send us the output of "mmhealth node show -v" to see which
monitors are active.

It might make sense to open a PMR to get this issue fixed.

Thanks.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Mathias Dietz

Spectrum Scale - Release Lead Architect (4.2.X Release)
System Health and Problem Determination Architect
IBM Certified Software Engineer

IBM Deutschland
Hechtsheimer Str. 2
55131 Mainz
Mobile: +49-15152801035
E-Mail: mdietz at de.ibm.com
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz, Geschäftsführung: Dirk
Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294