[gpfsug-discuss] Shared nothing (FPO) throughout / bandwidth sizing

Kumaran Rajaram kums at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 25 22:36:39 BST 2017

Hi,

>>I was wondering if there are any good performance sizing guides for a
spectrum scale shared nothing architecture (FPO)?
>> I don't have any production experience using spectrum scale in a
"shared nothing configuration " and was hoping for bandwidth / throughput
sizing guidance.

Please ensure that all the recommended FPO settings (e.g.
allowWriteAffinity=yes in the FPO storage pool, readReplicaPolicy=local,
restripeOnDiskFailure=yes)  are set properly. Please find the FPO Best
practices/tunings, in the links below:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/General%20Parallel%20File%20System%20%28GPFS%29/page/Big%20Data%20Best%20practices
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/form/anonymous/api/wiki/fa32927c-e904-49cc-a4cc-870bcc8e307c/page/ab5c2792-feef-4a3a-a21b-d22c6f5d728a/attachment/80d5c300-7b39-4d6e-9596-84934fcc4638/media/Deploying_a_big_data_solution_using_IBM_Spectrum_Scale_v1.7.5.pdf

>> For example, each node might consist of 24x storage drives (locally
attached JBOD, no RAID array).
>> Given a particular node configuration I want to be in a position to
calculate the maximum bandwidth / throughput.

With FPO, GPFS metadata (-m) and data replication (-r) needs to be
enabled.  The Write-affinity-Depth (WAD) setting defines the policy for
directing writes. It indicates that the node writing the data directs the
write to disks on its own node for the first copy and to the disks on
other nodes for the second and third copies (if specified).
readReplicaPolicy=local will enable the policy to read replicas from local
disks.

At the minimum, ensure that the networking used for GPFS is sized properly
and has bandwidth 2X or 3X that of the local disk speeds to ensure FPO
write bandwidth is not being constrained by GPFS replication over the
network.

For example, if 24 x Drives in RAID-0 results in ~4.8 GB/s (assuming
~200MB/s per drive) and GPFS metadata/data replication is set to 3 (-m 3
-r 3) then for optimal FPO write bandwidth, we need to ensure the
network-interconnect between the FPO nodes is non-blocking/high-speed and
can sustain ~14.4 GB/s ( data_replication_factor *
local_storage_bandwidth). One possibility, is minimum of 2 x EDR
Infiniband  (configure GPFS verbsRdma/verbsPorts) or bonded 40GigE between
the FPO nodes (for GPFS daemon-to-daemon communication). Application reads
requiring FPO reads from remote GPFS node would as well benefit from
high-speed network-interconnect between the FPO nodes.

Regards,
-Kums