[gpfsug-discuss] pmcollector node

Norbert Schuld NSCHULD at de.ibm.com
Tue Aug 22 08:44:28 BST 2017

Above ~100 nodes the answer is "it depends" but memory is certainly the
main factor.

Important parts for the estimation are the number of nodes, filesystems,
NSDs, NFS & SMB shares and the frequency (aka period) with which
measurements are made.
For a lot of sensors today the default is 1/sec which is quite high.
Depending on your needs 1/ 10 sec might do or even 1/min.

With just guessing on some numbers I end up with ~24-32 GB RAM needed in
total and about the same number for disk space.
If you want HA double the number, then divide by the number of collector
nodes used in the federation setup.
Place the collectors on nodes which do not play an additional important
part in your cluster, then CPU should not be an issue.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Norbert Schuld