[gpfsug-discuss] LTFS/EE - fixing bad tapes..

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Sat Aug 19 20:05:05 BST 2017

On 19/08/17 16:45, Marc A Kaplan wrote:
> I'm kinda curious... I've noticed a few message on this subject -- so I
> went to the doc....
>
> The doc seems to indicate there are some circumstances where removing
> the tape with the appropriate command and options and then adding it
> back will result in the files on the tape becoming available again...
>   But, of course, tapes are not 100% (nothing is), so no guarantee.
> Perhaps  the rigamarole of removing and adding back is compensating for
> software glitch (bug!)  -- Logically seems it shouldn't be necessary --
> either the tape is readable or not -- the system should be able to do
> retries and error correction without removing --  but worth a shot.
>
> (I'm a gpfs guy, but not an LTFS/EE/tape guy)

Well with a TSM based HSM there are all sorts of reasons for a tape
being marked "offline". Usually it's because there has been some sort of
problem with the tape library in my experience. Say there is a problem
with the gripper and the library is unable to get the tape, it will mark
it as unavailable.

Of course issues with reading data from the tape would be another
reasons. Typically beyond a number of errors TSM would mark the tape as
bad, which is why you always have a copy pool.

Fife, United Kingdom.