[gpfsug-discuss] NSD Server/FS Manager Memory Requirements

Knister, Aaron S. (GSFC-606.2)[COMPUTER SCIENCE CORP] aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Thu Aug 17 14:12:28 BST 2017

Hi Everyone,

In the world of GPFS 4.2 is there a particular advantage to having a large amount of memory (e.g. > 64G) allocated to the pagepool on combination NSD Server/FS manager nodes? We currently have half of physical memory allocated to pagepool on these nodes.

For some historical context-- we had two indicidents that drove us to increase our NSD server/FS manager pagepools. One was a weird behavior in GPFS 3.5 that was causing bouncing FS managers until we bumped the page pool from a few gigs to about half of the physical memory on the node. The other was a mass round of parallel mmfsck's of all 20 something of our filesystems. It came highly recommended to us to increase the pagepool to something very large for that.

I'm curious to hear what other folks do and what the recommendations from IBM folks are.

Thanks,
Aaron