[gpfsug-discuss] Used virtualization technologies for GPFS/Spectrum Scale

Hans-Joachim Ehlers service at metamodul.com
Mon Apr 24 17:11:25 BST 2017

> Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode at tanso.net> hat am 24. April 2017 um 15:14 geschrieben:
> I agree with Luis -- why so many nodes?

Many ? IMHO it is not that much.
I do not like to have one server doing more than one task.
Thus a NSD Server does only serves GPFS. A Protocol server serves either NFS or SMB but not both except IBM says it would be better to run NFS/SMB on the same node.
A backup server runs also on its "own" hardware.

So i would need at least 4 NSD Server since if 1 fails i am losing only 25% of my "performance" and still having a 4/5 quorum. Nice in case an Update of a NSD failed.
Each protocol service requires at least 2 nodes and the backup service as well.

I can only say that with that approach i never had problems. I have be running into problems each time i did not followed that apporach. But of course YMMV
But keep in mind that each service might requires different GPFS configuration or even slightly different hardware.

Saying so i am a fan of having many GPFS Server ( NSD, Protocol , Backup a.s.o ) and i do not understand why not to use many nodes ^_^

Cheers Hajo