[gpfsug-discuss] Protocol node recommendations

Frank Tower frank.tower at outlook.com
Sat Apr 22 19:47:59 BST 2017

Hi,

Thank for your answer.

> 1) Do you mean 1,000 human users, or 1,000 machines doing NFS/CIFS mounts?
True, here the list:
- 800 users that have 1 workstation through 1Gb/s ethernet and will use NFS/CIFS
- 200 users that have 2 workstation through 1Gb/s ethernet, few have 10Gb/s ethernet and will use NFS/CIFS

> 2) How many of the users are likely to be active at the same time? 1,000
> users, each of whom are active an hour a week is entirely different from
> 200 users that are each active 140 hours a week.
True again, around 200 users will actively use GPFS through NFS/CIFS during night and day, but we cannot control if people will use 2 workstations or more :(
We will have peak during day with an average of 700 'workstations'

> 3) What SLA/performance target are they expecting?  If they want
> large 1TB I/O and 100MB/sec is acceptable, that's different than if they
> have a business need to go at 1.2GB/sec....
We just want to provide at normal throughput through an 1GB/s network. Users are aware of such situation and will mainly use HPC cluster for high speed and heavy computation.
But they would like to do 'light' computation on their desktop.
The main topic here is to sustain 'normal' throughput for all users during peak.

Thank for your help.

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 12:27:13 -0000, Frank Tower said:

> - some will do large I/O (e.g: store 1TB files)
> - some will read/write more than 10k files in a raw
> - other will do only sequential read

> But I wondering if some people have recommendations regarding hardware sizing
> and software tuning for such situation ?

The three most critical pieces of info are missing here: