[gpfsug-discuss] Protocol node recommendations

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Apr 22 05:30:29 BST 2017

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 12:27:13 -0000, Frank Tower said:

> - some will do large I/O (e.g: store 1TB files)
> - some will read/write more than 10k files in a raw
> - other will do only sequential read

> But I wondering if some people have recommendations regarding hardware sizing
> and software tuning for such situation ?

The three most critical pieces of info are missing here:

1) Do you mean 1,000 human users, or 1,000 machines doing NFS/CIFS mounts?

2) How many of the users are likely to be active at the same time? 1,000
users, each of whom are active an hour a week is entirely different from
200 users that are each active 140 hours a week.

3) What SLA/performance target are they expecting?  If they want
large 1TB I/O and 100MB/sec is acceptable, that's different than if they
have a business need to go at 1.2GB/sec....