[gpfsug-discuss] RAID config for SSD's - potential pitfalls

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 19 23:41:19 BST 2017

Kums is our performance guru, so weigh that appropriately and relative to
my own remarks...

Nevertheless,   I still think RAID-5or6 is a poor choice for GPFS
metadata.  The write cache will NOT mitigate the read-modify-write problem
of a workload that has a random or hop-scotch access pattern of small
writes.  In the end you've still got to read and write several times more
disk blocks than you actually set out to modify.  Same goes for any large
amount of data that will be written in a pattern of non-sequential small
writes.  (Define a small write as less than a full RAID stripe).

For sure, non-volatile write caches are a good thing - but not a be all
end all solution.

Relying on RAID-1 to protect your metadata may well be easier to
administer, but still GPFS replication can be more robust.

Doing both - belt and suspenders is fine -- if you can afford it. Either
is buying 2x storage, both is 4x.