[gpfsug-discuss] mmapplypolicy didn't migrate everything it should have - why not?

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 19 15:37:29 BST 2017

Well  I'm glad we followed Mr. S. Holmes dictum which I'll paraphrase...
eliminate the impossible and what remains, even if it seems improbable,
must hold.

BTW - you may want to look at  mmclone.  Personally, I find the doc and
terminology confusing, but mmclone was designed to efficiently store
copies and near-copies of large (virtual machine) images.  Uses
copy-on-write strategy, similar to GPFS snapshots, but at a file by file
granularity.

BBTW - we fixed directories - they can now be huge (up to about 2^30
files) and automagically, efficiently grow and shrink in size.  Also small
directories can be stored efficiently in the inode.  The last major
improvement was just a few years ago.  Before that they could be huge, but
would never shrink.