[gpfsug-discuss] Policy scan against billion files for ILM/HSM

Masanori Mitsugi mitsugi at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Apr 11 05:29:16 BST 2017

Hello,

Does anyone have experience to do mmapplypolicy against billion files
for ILM/HSM?

Currently I'm planning/designing

* 1 Scale filesystem (5-10 PB)
* 10-20 filesets which includes 1 billion files each

And our biggest concern is "How log does it take for mmapplypolicy
policy scan against billion files?"

I know it depends on how to write the policy,
but I don't have no billion files policy scan experience,
so I'd like to know the order of time (min/hour/day...).

It would be helpful if anyone has experience of such large number of
files scan and let me know any considerations or points for policy design.

--
Masanori Mitsugi
mitsugi at linux.vnet.ibm.com