[gpfsug-discuss] gpfs native raid

Yuri L Volobuev volobuev at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 30 06:43:53 BST 2016

The issue of "GNR as software" is a pretty convoluted mixture of technical,
business, and resource constraints issues.  While some of the technical
issues can be discussed here, obviously the other considerations cannot be
discussed in a public forum.  So you won't be able to get a complete
understanding of the situation by discussing it here.

> I understand the support concerns, but I naively thought that assuming
> the hardware meets a basic set of requirements (e.g. redundant sas
> paths, x type of drives) it would be fairly supportable with GNR. The
> DS3700 shelves are re-branded NetApp E-series shelves and pretty vanilla
> I thought.

Setting business issues aside, this is more complicated on the technical
level than one may think.  At present, GNR requires a set of twin-tailed
external disk enclosures.  This is not a particularly exotic kind of
hardware, but it turns out that this corner of the storage world is quite
insular.  GNR has a very close relationship with physical disk devices,
much more so than regular GPFS.  In an ideal world, SCSI and SES standards
are supposed to provide a framework which would allow software like GNR to
operate on an arbitrary disk enclosure.  In the real world, the actual SES
implementations on various enclosures that we've been dealing with are,
well, peculiar.  Apparently SES is one of those standards where vendors
feel a lot of freedom in "re-interpreting" the standard, and since
typically enclosures talk to a small set of RAID controllers, there aren't
bad enough consequences to force vendors to be religious about SES standard
compliance.  Furthermore, the SAS fabric topology in configurations with an
external disk enclosures is surprisingly complex, and that complexity
predictably leads to complex failures which don't exist in simpler
configurations.  Thus far, every single one of the five enclosures we've
had a chance to run GNR on required some adjustments, workarounds, hacks,
etc.  And the consequences of a misbehaving SAS fabric can be quite dire.
There are various approaches to dealing with those complications, from
running a massive 3rd party hardware qualification program to basically
declaring any complications from an unknown enclosure to be someone else's
problem (how would ZFS deal with a SCSI reset storm due to a bad SAS
expander?), but there's much debate on what is the right path to take.
Customer input/feedback is obviously very valuable in tilting such
discussions in the right direction.

yuri