[gpfsug-discuss] Proposal for dynamic heat assisted file tiering

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 28 16:33:29 BST 2016

Suppose, we could "dynamically" change the pool assignment of a file.

How/when would you have us do that?   When will that generate unnecessary,
"wasteful" IOPs?
How do we know if/when/how often you will access a file in the future?

This is similar to other classical caching policies, but there the choice
is usually just which pages to flush from the cache
when we need space ...  The usual compromise is "LRU" but maybe some
systems allow hints.

When there are multiple pools, it seems more complicated, more degrees of
freedom ...

Would you be willing and able to write some new policy rules to provide
directions to Spectrum Scale for dynamic tiering?
What would that look like?  Would it be worth the time and effort over
what we have now?