[gpfsug-discuss] Blocksize

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Sep 23 23:34:49 BST 2016

On 09/22/2016 08:36 PM, Stef Coene wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it needed to specify a different blocksize for the system pool that
> holds the metadata?
>
> IBM recommends a 1 MB blocksize for the file system.
> But I wonder a smaller blocksize (256 KB or so) for metadata is a good
> idea or not...
I have read the replies and at the end, this is what we will do:
Since the back-end storage will be V5000 with a default stripe size of
256KB and we use 8 data disk in an array, this means that 256KB * 8 = 2M
is the best choice for block size.
So 2 MB block size for data is the best choice.

Since the block size for metadata is not that important in the latest
releases, we will also go for 2 MB block size for metadata.

Inode size will be left at the default: 4 KB.

Stef