[gpfsug-discuss] Blocksize

Wahl, Edward ewahl at osc.edu
Thu Sep 22 20:19:00 BST 2016

This is a great idea.  However there are quite a few other things to consider:

-max file count? If you need say a couple of billion files, this will affect things.
-wish to store small files in the system pool in late model SS/GPFS?
-encryption?  No data will be stored in the system pool so large blocks for small file storage in system is pointless.
-system pool replication?
-HDD vs SSD for system pool?
-xxD or array tuning recommendations from your vendor?
-streaming vs random IO? Do you have a single dedicated app that has performance like xxx?
-probably more I can't think of off the top of my head.  etc etc

Ed