[gpfsug-discuss] Weirdness with 'mmces address add'

Valdis Kletnieks Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Sep 7 19:45:43 BST 2016

We're in the middle of deploying Spectrum Archive, and I've hit a
snag.  We assigned some floating IP addresses, which now need to
be changed.  So I look at the mmces manpage, and it looks like I need
to add the new addresses, and delete the old ones.

We're on GPFS 4.2.1.0, if that matters...

What 'man mmces' says:

1. To add an address to a specified node, issue this command:

   mmces address add --ces-node node1 --ces-ip 10.1.2.3

(and at least 6 or 8 more uses of an IP address).

What happens when I try it:  (And yes, we have an 'isb' ces-group defined with
addresses in it already)

# mmces address add --ces-group isb --ces-ip 172.28.45.72
Cannot resolve 172.28.45.72; Name or service not known
mmces address add: Incorrect value for --ces-ip option
Usage:
  mmces address add [--ces-node Node] [--attribute Attribute] [--ces-group Group]
     {--ces-ip {IP[,IP...]}

Am I missing some special sauce? (My first guess is that it's complaining
because there's no PTR in the DNS for that address yet - but if it was going
to do DNS lookups, it should be valid to give a hostname rather than an IP
address (and nowhere in the manpage does it even *hint* that --ces-ip can
be anything other than a list of IP addresses).

Or is it time for me to file a PMR?