[gpfsug-discuss] migrate policy vs restripe

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 4 15:32:55 BST 2016

Doubtless there are subtleties and special cases, but my should-work-well
advice is:

A) Use mmapplypolicy ... -I defer  -P
policy-to-set-pool-assignments-and-replication-factor  ...
      where the policy rules file contains rules like

    RULE 'adjust' MIGRATE  [FROM POOL 'x']  TO POOL 'y'  REPLICATE({1|2})
WHERE decide to which file this rule shall apply

   The '-I defer' option says just mark the inodes, do not actually move
the data

B) Use mmrestripefs ...  -b  ... -N nodeclass   The move data to correct
pool assignments and rebalance the entire file system, also fix
ill-replicated and ill-placed files.  (keep reading...)

C) "restripe only works within the same pool"  -- I believe there is a
misunderstanding.  For any given file, all the data blocks are supposed to
be in the one pool indicated by pool assignment which is recorded in the
file's inode.  If the pool assignment changes but not all of the blocks
are migrated to the new pool, then the file is considered "ill-placed".  I
believe mmrestripefs endeavors to move blocks so as to "fix" ill-placed
files.   Failure groups are a different concept that is associated with
replication.  The replicas of a given data or meta data block should be in
different failure groups.  If not, the file is considered "ill-replicated"
 and mmrestripefs endeavors to fix that also.