[gpfsug-discuss] Biggest file that will fit inside an inode?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Mon Oct 3 17:34:33 BST 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-03 at 16:16 +0000, Luke Raimbach wrote:
> It doesn't, but the end result is the same... data shipped off
> 'somewhere else' with a stub file?
>
> I have in my mind that DMAPI support was around before data-in-inode
> (or at least 4K inodes) was introduced, so it had to be made a bit
> cleverer to cope, but I may be misremembering that.

It did but you can always specify that files below a certain size don't
get migrated, be it tape cloud or elsewhere. Never made sense migrating
small files to tape anyway, and it certainly makes no sense to migrate a
file in an inode anywhere.

Perhaps that is the source of a request for enhancement? Stop files
existing in inodes being migrated.

Fife, United Kingdom.