[gpfsug-discuss] Perfileset df explanation

Yuri L Volobuev volobuev at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 16 19:37:53 GMT 2016

The 'mmdf' part of the usage string is actually an error, it should
actually say 'df'.  More specifically, this changes the semantics of statfs
(2).  On Linux, the statfs syscall takes a path argument, which can be the
root directory of a file system, or a subdirectory inside.  If the path
happens to be a root directory of a fileset, and that fileset has the
fileset quota set, and --filesetdf is set to 'yes', the statfs returns
utilization numbers based on the fileset quota utilization, as opposed to
the overall file system utilization.  This is useful when a specific
fileset is NFS-exported as a 'share', and it's desirable to see only the
space used/available for that 'share' on the NFS client side.

yuri