[gpfsug-discuss] Small cluster

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 4 16:09:03 GMT 2016

Jon, I don't doubt your experience, but it's not quite fair or even
sensible to make a decision today based on what was available in the GPFS
2.3 era.

We are now at GPFS 4.2 with support for 3 way replication and FPO.
Also we have Raid controllers, IB, and "Native Raid" and ESS, GSS
solutions and more.

So more choices, more options, making finding an "optimal" solution more
difficult.

To begin with, as with any provisioning problem, one should try to state:
requirements, goals, budgets, constraints, failure/tolerance
models/assumptions,
expected workloads, desired performance, etc, etc.