[gpfsug-discuss] Use of commodity HDs on large GPFS client base clusters?

Jaime Pinto pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 15 19:39:51 GMT 2016

I'd like to hear about performance consideration from sites that may
be using "non-IBM sanctioned" storage hardware or appliance, such as
DDN, GSS, ESS (we have all of these).

For instance, how could that compare with ESS, which I understand has
some sort of "dispersed parity" feature, that substantially diminishes
rebuilt time in case of HD failures.

I'm particularly interested on HPC sites with 5000+ clients mounting
such commodity NSD's+HD's setup.

Thanks
Jaime

---
Jaime Pinto
SciNet HPC Consortium  - Compute/Calcul Canada
www.scinet.utoronto.ca - www.computecanada.org
University of Toronto
256 McCaul Street, Room 235
Toronto, ON, M5T1W5