[gpfsug-discuss] upgrading to spectrum scale 4.1 from gpfs 3.5.0-21

Damir Krstic damir.krstic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 20:55:29 GMT 2016

What is the correct procedure to upgrade from 3.5 to 4.1?

What I have tried is uninstalling existing 3.5 version (rpm -e) and
installing 4.1.0.0 using rpm -hiv *.rpm. After the install I've compiled
kernel extensions:
cd /usr/lpp/mmfs/src && make Autoconfig && make World && make InstallImages

Rebooted the node and have been getting:
daemon and kernel extension do not match.

I've tried rebuilding extensions again and still could not get it to work.
I've uninstalled 4.1 packages and reinstalled 3.5 and I am not getting
daemon and kernel extension do not match error with 3.5 version on a single
node. So, couple of questions:
What is the correct way of upgrading from 3.5 to 4.1.0.0?

Thanks,
Damir