[gpfsug-discuss] ESS GL6

Damir Krstic damir.krstic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:10:13 BST 2016

Couple of questions regarding Spectrum Scale 4.2 and ESS. We recently got
our ESS delivered and are putting it in production this week. Previous to
ESS we ran GPFS 3.5 and IBM DCS3700 storage arrays.

My question about ESS and Spectrum Scale has to do with querying available
free space and adding capacity to existing file system.

In the old days of GPFS 3.5 I would create LUNs on 3700, zone them to
appropriate hosts, and then see them as multipath devices on NSD servers.
After that, I would create NSD disks and add them to the filesystem.

With the ESS, however, I don't think the process is quite the same. IBM
tech that was here installing the system has created all the "LUNs" or the
equivalent in the ESS system. How do you I query what space is available to
add to the existing filesystems, and then how do you actually add space?

I am reading ESS RedBook but the answers are not obvious.

Thanks,
Damir