[gpfsug-discuss] Trapped Inodes

Luke Raimbach Luke.Raimbach at crick.ac.uk
Fri Jul 1 11:32:13 BST 2016

Hi All,

I've run out of inodes on a relatively small filesystem. The total metadata capacity allows for a maximum of 188,743,680 inodes.

A fileset containing 158,000,000 inodes was force deleted and has gone into a bad state, where it is reported as (NULL) and has state "deleted":

Attributes for fileset (NULL):
===============================
Status                                  Deleted
Path                                    --
Id                                      15
Root inode                              latest:
Parent Id                               <none>
Created                                 Wed Jun 15 14:07:51 2016
Comment
Inode space                             8
Maximum number of inodes                158000000
Allocated inodes                        158000000
Permission change flag                  chmodAndSetacl
afm-associated                          No

Offline mmfsck fixed a few problems, but didn't free these poor, trapped inodes. Now I've run out and mmdf is telling me crazy things like this:

Inode Information
-----------------
Total number of used inodes in all Inode spaces:                  0
Total number of free inodes in all Inode spaces:           27895680
Total number of allocated inodes in all Inode spaces:      27895680
Total of Maximum number of inodes in all Inode spaces:     34100000

Current GPFS build: "4.2.0.3".

Who will help me rescue these inodes?

Cheers,
Luke.

Luke Raimbach​
Senior HPC Data and Storage Systems Engineer,
The Francis Crick Institute,
Gibbs Building,
215 Euston Road,
London NW1 2BE.

E: luke.raimbach at crick.ac.uk
W: www.crick.ac.uk

The Francis Crick Institute Limited is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 1140062 and a company registered in England and Wales no. 06885462, with its registered office at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.