[gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands

Sven Oehme oehmes at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 12 20:20:29 GMT 2016

I have seen this with a read-only or full /var/ filesystem before. Could that be the case ?

Sent from IBM Verse

   mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu --- Re: [gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands ---
    From:"" <mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu>To:"gpfsug main discussion list" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>Date:Tue, Jan 12, 2016 12:17 PMSubject:Re: [gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands

 In the message dated: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:24:18 -0800,
 The pithy ruminations from Yuri L Volobuev on
 <Re: [gpfsug-discuss] weird issue when issuing mm commands> were:
 =>
 => GPFS code determines the current OS by looking at the output of "uname -s".
 => On a regular Linux node, this command returns "Linux", so check whether you

 I saw the same issue on several Scientific Linux release 6.7 machines last
 week.

 These machines have been GPFS clients since ~ SL 6.3 & GPFS 3.5.9
 (~3 years). This error never happened previously.

 Various 'mm*' commands were returning the "Unknown OS" error. Note that
 there was no OS named at the end of the error message, as if $osName
 was not defined in /usr/lpp/mmfs/bin/mmglobfuncs.

 The 'uname -s' command on these nodes does return "Linux" both locally
 and remotely via an ssh connection from a GPFS manager node.

 Updating OS distribution packages & rebooting the nodes & rebuilding the
 kernel-specific gpfs.gplbin packge resolved the problem, so I'm not sure
 of the exact cause.

 Mark

 => see the same, when the command is run locally on the node and through an
 => ssh session. Since mmaddnode has to do some remote processing, make sure
 => ssh works as expected, in particular in the locale setting area.
 =>
 => yuri
 =>
 =>