[gpfsug-discuss] translating /dev device into nsd name

Daniel Kidger daniel.kidger at uk.ibm.com
Mon Dec 19 11:42:03 GMT 2016

Valdis wrote:
   Keep in mind that if you have multiple NSD servers in the cluster, there
  is *no* guarantee that the names for a device will be consistent across
  the servers, or across reboots.  And when multipath is involved, you may
  have 4 or 8 or even more names for the same device....

  Indeed the is whole greatness about NSDs (and in passing why Lustre can be much more tricky to safely manage.)
    Once a lun is "labelled" as an NSD then that NSD name is all you need to care about as the /dev entries can now freely change on reboot or differ across nodes. Indeed if you connect an arbitrary node to an NSD disk via a SAN cable, gpfs will recognise it and use it as a shortcut to that lun.

    Finally recall that in the NSD stanza file the /dev entry is only matched for on the first of the listed NSD servers; the other NSD servers will discover and learn which NSD this is, ignoring the /dev value in this stanza.
    Daniel

  IBM Spectrum Storage Software
  +44 (0)7818 522266
  Sent from my iPad using IBM Verse