[gpfsug-discuss] reserving memory for GPFS process

Brian Marshall mimarsh2 at vt.edu
Tue Dec 20 16:25:04 GMT 2016

All,

What is your favorite method for stopping a user process from eating up all
the system memory and saving 1 GB (or more) for the GPFS / system
processes?  We have always kicked around the idea of cgroups but never
moved on it.

The problem:  A user launches a job which uses all the memory on a node,
which causes the node to be expelled, which causes brief filesystem
slowness everywhere.

I bet this problem has already been solved and I am just googling the wrong
search terms.

Thanks,
Brian