[gpfsug-discuss] correct way of taking IO server down for maintenance

Damir Krstic damir.krstic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:53:27 GMT 2016

We have a single ESS GL6 system running GPFS 4.2.0-1. Last night one of the
IO servers phoned home with memory error. IBM is coming out today to
replace the faulty DIMM.

What is the correct way of taking this system out for maintenance?

Before ESS we had a large GPFS 3.5 installation with 14 IO servers. When we
needed to do maintenance on the old system, we would migrate manager role
and also move primary and secondary server roles if one of those systems
had to be taken down.

With ESS and resource pool manager roles etc. is there a correct way of
shutting down one of the IO serves for maintenance?

Thanks,
Damir