[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 3.5.0 on RHEL 6.8

mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 30 22:07:21 BST 2016

In the message dated: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:39:18 +0200,
The pithy ruminations from Lukas Hejtmanek on
<[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS 3.5.0 on RHEL 6.8> were:
=> Hello,

GPFS 3.5.0.[23..3-0] work for me under [CentOS|ScientificLinux] 6.8,
but at kernel 2.6.32-573 and lower.

I've found kernel bugs in blk_cloned_rq_check_limits() in later kernel
revs that caused multipath errors, resulting in GPFS being unable to
find all NSDs and mount the filesystem.

I am not updating to a newer kernel until I'm certain this is resolved.

I opened a bug with CentOS:

	https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=10997

and began an extended discussion with the (RH & SUSE) developers of that
chunk of kernel code. I don't know if an upstream bug has been opened
by RH, but see:

	https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9140337/
=>
=> does it work for anyone? As of kernel 2.6.32-642, GPFS 3.5.0 (including the
=> latest patch 32) does start but does not mount and file system. The internal
=> mount cmd gets stucked.
=>
=> --
=> Lukáš Hejtmánek

--
Mark Bergman                                           voice: 215-746-4061
mark.bergman at uphs.upenn.edu                              fax: 215-614-0266