[gpfsug-discuss] Minor GPFS versions coexistence problems?

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 19 05:12:26 BST 2016

Figured I'd throw in my "me too!" as well. We have ~3500 nodes and 60
gpfs server nodes and we've done several rounds of rolling upgrades
starting with 3.5.0.19 -> 3.5.0.24. We've had the cluster with a mix of
both versions for quite some time (We're actually in that state right
now as it would happen and have been for several months). I've not seen
any issue with it. Of course, as Richard alluded to, its good to check
the release notes :)

-Aaron

On 8/15/16 8:45 AM, Buterbaugh, Kevin L wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I will second what Bob said with one caveat … on one occasion we had an
> issue with our multi-cluster setup because the PTF’s were incompatible.
>  However, that was clearly documented in the release notes, which we
> obviously hadn’t read carefully enough.
>
> While we generally do rolling upgrades over a two to three week period,
> we have run for months with clients at differing PTF levels.  HTHAL…
>
> Kevin
>
>> On Aug 15, 2016, at 6:22 AM, Oesterlin, Robert
>> <Robert.Oesterlin at nuance.com <mailto:Robert.Oesterlin at nuance.com>> wrote:
>>
>> In general, yes, it's common practice to do the 'rolling upgrades'. If
>> I had to do my whole cluster at once, with an outage, I'd probably
>> never upgrade. :)
>>

>> Bob Oesterlin
>> Sr Storage Engineer, Nuance HPC Grid
>>

>> *From: *<gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org
>> <mailto:gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org>> on behalf of
>> "Sobey, Richard A" <r.sobey at imperial.ac.uk
>> <mailto:r.sobey at imperial.ac.uk>>
>> *Date: *Monday, August 15, 2016 at 4:59 AM
>> *To: *"'gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org
>> <mailto:gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>'"
>> <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org
>> <mailto:gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>>
>> *Subject: *[EXTERNAL] [gpfsug-discuss] Minor GPFS versions coexistence
>> problems?
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> If I wanted to upgrade my NSD nodes one at a time from 3.5.0.22 to
>> 3.5.0.27 (or whatever the latest in that branch is) am I ok to stagger
>> it over a few days, perhaps up to 2 weeks or will I run into problems
>> if they’re on different versions?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Richard
>
>> Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
> Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
> Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu
> <mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> - (615)875-9633

Aaron Knister
NASA Center for Climate Simulation (Code 606.2)
Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 286-2776