[gpfsug-discuss] quota on secondary groups for a user?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Aug 3 19:46:54 BST 2016

On 03/08/16 19:06, Buterbaugh, Kevin L wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> Wait - am I misunderstanding something here?  Let’s say that I have
> “user1” who has primary group “group1” and secondary group “group2”.
>  And let’s say that they write to a directory where the bit on the
> directory forces all files created in that directory to have group2
> associated with them.  Are you saying that those files still count
> against group1’s group quota???

Yeah, but bastard user from hell over here then does

  chgrp group1 myevilfile.txt

and your set group id bit becomes irrelevant because it is only ever
indicative. In fact there is nothing that guarantees the set group id
bit is honored because there is nothing stopping the user or a program
coming in immediately after the file is created and changing that. Not
pointing fingers at the OSX SMB client when Unix extensions are active
on a Samba server in any way there.

As such Unix group quotas are in the real world a total waste of space.
This is if you ask me why XFS and Lustre have project quotas and GPFS
has file sets.

Fife, United Kingdom.