[gpfsug-discuss] HAWC (Highly available write cache)

Tejas Rao raot at bnl.gov
Mon Aug 1 20:05:52 BST 2016

In my case GPFS storage is used to store VM images (KVM) and hence the
small IO.

I always see lots of small 4K writes and the GPFS filesystem block size
is 8MB. I thought the reason for the small writes is that the linux
kernel requests GPFS to initiate a periodic sync which by default is
every 5 seconds and can be controlled by "vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs".

I thought HAWC would help in such cases and would harden (coalesce) the
small writes in the "system" pool and would flush to the "data" pool in
larger block size.

Note - I am not doing direct i/o explicitly.