[gpfsug-discuss] CES network aliases

Sobey, Richard A r.sobey at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 09:34:33 BST 2016

Hi all,

It's Tuesday morning and that means question time :)

So from http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/STXKQY_4.2.0/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.v4r2.adv.doc/bl1adv_cesnetworkconfig.htm, I've extracted the following:

How to use an alias
To use an alias address for CES, you need to provide a static IP address that is not already defined as an alias in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory.
Before you enable the node as a CES node, configure the network adapters for each subnet that are represented in the CES address pool:

  1.  Define a static IP address for the device:
2.  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
3.  DEVICE=eth1
4.  BOOTPROTO=none
5.  IPADDR=10.1.1.10
6.  NETMASK=255.255.255.0
7.  ONBOOT=yes
8.  GATEWAY=10.1.1.1
TYPE=Ethernet

  1.  Ensure that there are no aliases that are defined in the network-scripts directory for this interface:
10.# ls -l /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:*
ls: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1:*: No such file or directory
After the node is enabled as a CES node, no further action is required. CES addresses are added as aliases to the already configured adapters.
Now, does this mean for every floating (CES) IP address I need a separate ifcfg-ethX on each node? At the moment I simply have an ifcfg-X file representing each physical network adapter, and then the CES IPs defined. I can see IP addresses being added during failover to the primary interface, but now I've read I potentially need to create a separate file. What's the right way to move forward? If I need separate files, I presume the listed IP is a CES IP (not system) and does it also matter what X is in ifcfg-ethX?

Many thanks
Richard